The Beauty of Llyn Maelog
||A thriving shipbuilding
industry once existed on the shores of Maelog Lake. It was established
in 1787. In that year the eleven ton sloop, Old Fisher was
built. It is thought that the ships were floated along the man made
channel on the West side of the lake to the sea. The main road into
the village now crosses the outlet.
The lake was also the water
supply for the village, until 1968 when the main water supply
was connected to Llyn Alaw. The water tower was pulled down and
the old pump house is now used as holiday accommodation.
||There is a good stock of fish
in the lake including Perch, Bream & Roach. That's if they haven't
been eaten by the Pike!
There is a footpath from
which one can enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
Left: Walkers enjoying the
||A large variety
of birdlife inhabits the reedbeds. Grey Heron, Snipes, Reed Warblers,
Coots, Mallard, Shelducks etc. Black headed gulls nest on the small
Annual visitors to the lake
are the Grey Lag Geese from Scandinavia. It is a common sight to
see them flying in V formation heading for other lakes inland or
flying to Malltraeth - another conservation area rich in birdlife
and former home of Tunnicliffe the bird artist.
||Cormorants can often be
seen on the rocks with wings outstretched to dry.
Left: Swans by the lake
side with a cygnet just visible under the hen bird's wing.
||An attempt is being made
by the council to entice the Bittern back to Anglesey. Well kept,
marshy reed beds are the ideal habitat for these birds which were
near to extinction at one point.
for an aerial view of the lake